Monday, February 25, 2008

Our Book Study Takes Off


Each year we participate in a book study at Chets Creek. Usually the books are non-fiction which help us become better teachers in one form or another. This year our administration decided to try something new. This year we were able to choose from fiction and non-fiction books that are about children and the struggles that some children go through in their lives. The book I chose was one that I just couldn't wait to get my hands on. The book is the real life story about Dave Pelzer who was the victim of the 3rd worst case of child abuse ever recorded in California. This book is an eye opener for not only teachers but anyone who interacts with children or even has children. It reminds us to think about that child sitting in our class that is having behavior problems, who isn't dressed well or bathed, is stealing food or money, who cannot focus during the lesson, or just gives us that feeling that things are not right at home. I was so touched by this story that I had to share it with my family. Now my daughter and son have both read it as well which allowed us to have a great book talk about it and have some reflections about making sure they never pass judgment about people. If you have any opportunity to read this book I highly suggest it. You won't be able to put it down! If you have read this book, I would love to hear your thoughts on a post!

No comments: